I made myself some chicken salad from scratch today. I didn't even follow a recipe! (This is a noteworthy accomplishment for me, since I'm normally one of those by-the-letter recipe-following non-cooks.) Forrest will even vouch for the tastiness of my chicken salad.
I didn't have walnuts, but I think they would have been a nice addition. So in the recipe below, I'm adding 'em. I'm recording the "recipe" below, in case I forget what I put in it. :)
- rotisserie chicken thigh & drumstick, shredded
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 3 inches of cucumber, chopped
- 1 or 2 slices of red onion, chopped
- dried cranberries, about ¼ cup or so
- handful of walnuts, chopped
- two big teaspoon glops of mayonnaise
- sprinkle of lemon juice (equivalent to squeezing a slice)
- salt & pepper, to taste
Combine chicken, celery, cucumber, onion, cranberries, and walnuts in a bowl.
Add mayonnaise. Stir until evenly distributed.
Add lemon juice and salt & pepper.
Yields: 1 main course serving, or 2 side servings