Monday, September 5, 2005

Moleskine for NaNoWriMo 2005

A pocket Moleskine and telescoping pen, next to my wallet for size comparison.

While at Barnes & Noble last night, I finally broke down and bought yet another journal. (My family could tell you all about my fascination with blank media, be it journals, paper, hard drives, CDs, whiteboards... I have at least ten almost-blank journals to my name, and the real count is probably closer to twenty, but I didn't bring them all with me to Washington, so I can't give you an accurate number.) This is not just any old journal, though. This is the semi-famous Moleskine notebook, specifically the ruled pocket-sized one. It was comparable in price to the only other similarly-sized notebook at Barnes & Noble, but with more pages, better cover, smaller rules, and greater coolness. I paid just less than $10 with my discount card.

What I like about it is it's small enough to fit in my back pocket; it's about the same dimensions as my wallet, although less flexible. The plan is to use it for brainstorming, notetaking, and outlining of this year's NaNoWriMo attempt. I'll be starting November 1st, rather than November 12th like last year, when I first found out about NaNoWriMo, so hopefully I'll write more than the sad 19,292 words I managed my first time.

I surfed around for webpages about Moleskine notebooks, as they're fairly popular among the writer-crowd. I came across one blog with an amusing quote:

Never [lend] someone your pen. They only want to steal it. If you let them use your pen once, they will assume that means they can use it whenever, also, stick it in their pocket, chew it, walk around with it, lend it to other people, sell it into slavery, and also additionally, they'll borrow your pencil too.

Minutes after chuckling over this comment, Forrest picked up my pen to fool around with it. Ten minutes later, he still had it. And thus I thought, bah! my pen is about to disappear. It did try its best to vanish — there was a moment as we were headed out the door that I couldn't find it — but it turned out that Forrest had in fact given the pen back to me and it was "safely" in my pocket. So it turned out okay... this time.

Categories: , ,

0 comments: