Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Hard Wax Ring

The writing is the equivalent of the first six letters of my name, written in the kateinu yiréb. I'm carving it out in relief, and it's taking forever.

The reflections on the hard wax make it hard to read the carved relief writing, so I have an annotation overlaying the photo. I didn't have my drawing tablet with me in the UU, so the reason the overlay is so bad is that I drew it with my touchpad. :P

It's surprisingly difficult to carve this wax; it's much harder than parafin wax. We're using dentistry tools to pick away at the ring forms. Before I really knew what I was getting into, I decided to make the writing in relief, rather than carved into the ring. Hopefully I'll be able to finish the darn thing before the end of the quarter.

I stopped in for a half hour today and added two and a half more letters to the ring. (My first and last name, written in the kateinu yiréb, comes out to thirteen letters.) However, I think I'll have to go back and carve them all out in higher relief, so this is more like the rough draft version of the ring. Bah.

On the other hand, if it turns out okay, I'll have one unique ring when I'm done!

Categories: , , ,

1 comments:

Shelley: the Dread Pirate Rodgers said...

"On the other hand,..."

The one with the warts?



"... if it turns out okay, I'll have one unique ring when I'm done!"

oh! it's a *ring*! I thought it was a lug nut. :-)